Phasmophobia Ghost Cheat Sheet Guide
Use our Phasmophobia ghost cheat sheet to help make your investigations a little easier.
There are 24 ghosts for you to investigate in Phasmophobia , each of them with their own combination of evidences and behaviors. It takes a long time to get used to the differences between ghosts. You only need to memorize that information on Nightmare and Insanity modes, but on Professional and below, you can get by using a good guide. We’ve got our own Phasmophobia ghost cheat sheet down below for you to peruse mid-investigation and make your life a bit easier.
Phasmophobia Ghost Cheat Sheet
- Evidence: EMF 5, Spirit Box, Ghost Writing
- Sanity Threshold: 50%
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.7 meters per second
- A Spirit won’t hunt for 180 seconds after being smudged with incense, rather than the normal 90 seconds for other ghosts.
- Evidence: Ultraviolet, Spirit Box, Ghost Writing
- Poltergeists are more likely to throw objects and mess with doors than most other ghosts.
- Poltergeists throw objects with more force than other ghosts.
- Poltergeists will also throw objects frequently during hunts.
- Evidence: Ghost Writing, Spirit Box, Ghost Writing
- Sanity Threshold: 60% (lights off in ghost room), 40% (lights on in ghost room)
- Mares hate light, so they’re more likely to turn off lights and trigger ghost events where light bulbs burst.
- Mares prefer to be in dark rooms, so you’ll see flickering lights in lit rooms less often.
- Mares hate light but can still turn on radios, TVs, and computers just as well as other ghosts.
- Evidence: Ultraviolet, Ghost Writing, Freezing Temps
- Sanity Threshold: Any
- Demons can hunt at any sanity, and they will.
- Demons are able to hunt only 20 seconds after finishing a hunt, meaning they can do so more frequently than any other ghost.
- Demons can trigger a hunt a mere 60 seconds after being smudged with incense, with the normal amount of time being 90 seconds.
- Evidence: DOTS Projector, Spirit Box, Ghost Orbs
- Sanity Threshold: 50%, 80% (if talking near the ghost)
- Yokai are made more active by talking in their vicinity and will hunt much sooner.
- Yokai detect electronics during hunts at a much shorter range than other ghosts, only detecting them at 2.5 meters or less.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Ultraviolet, Ghost Writing
- Myling are perceptibly quiet when they hunt, you’ll only be able to hear their footsteps and voice when they are within 12 meters of your location.
- Myling are more prone to making noise through the Parabolic Microphone.
- Evidence: EMF 5, DOTS Projector, Ghost Orbs
- Sanity Threshold: 50%, 65% (if near active electronics)
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.7 meters per second, up to 2.5 meters per second
- Raiju won’t just hunt at a higher sanity threshold when near active electronics, it also moves faster when hunting near them.
- Raiju can be easily discerned during hunts based on their fluctuating movement speeds, based on the electronics you’ve left on.
- Electronics flicker at a longer range (15 meters) during a Raiju hunt than normal (10 meters)
- Evidence: Ghost Writing, Freezing Temperatures, Spirit Box
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.7 meters per second, up to 3.7 meters per second
- Moroi curse whoever gets the ghost to respond on the Spirit Box, effectively doubling their sanity drain for the rest of the investigation.
- Moroi move faster when the team’s sanity is at lower levels. Its maximum speed when at low sanity and in its line of sight is the fastest of all ghosts and extremely dangerous.
- Moroi are blinded by being smudged with incense during a hunt for a couple seconds longer than other ghosts.
- Evidence: EMF 5, DOTS Projector, Spirit Box
- Wraiths won’t step in salt even if they pass over it.
- Wraiths will occasionally teleport to players when it’s not hunting, which gives an EMF reading. They’ll then roam back to their room.
- Wraiths can trigger hunts after teleporting, so their hunts will not necessarily start in or around the ghost room.
- Evidence: Ultraviolet, DOTS Projector, Ghost Orbs
- Banshees will choose a new player to single out at the start of an investigation, which it will target during hunts and roam to find otherwise.
- Banshees will not actively chase any other player during hunts unless their target dies, after which it’ll target someone else. If their target is outside, they will then hunt like normal.
- Banshees will scream into the Parabolic Microphone rather than make other sounds.
- Banshees only take their target’s sanity into account rather than the entire team’s. If their target’s sanity is 50% or lower, it can hunt.
- Evidence: Ghost Writing, Freezing Temperatures, Ghost Orbs
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.0 meters per second, up to 3.0 meters per second
- Revenants speed up to a blistering three meters per second if they know where any players are, but they slow down to a snail’s pace otherwise.
- Revenants’ speed burst lasts until they reach the last spot they detected a player.
- Evidence: Freezing Temperatures, DOTS Projector, Ghost Orbs
- Smudging a Yurei with incense will trap it in the ghost room for one minute.
- Yurei can fully close doors without triggering a full ghost event, which drains nearby players’ sanity by 15%.
- Yurei are the only ghosts that can close the door leading outside of the building without triggering a hunt or a full ghost event.
- Evidence: Freezing Temperatures, Ultraviolet, Ghost Orbs
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.4 meters per second, up to 2.7 meters per second (based on room temperature)
- When hunting, the Hantu’s breath can be seen regardless of room temperature.
- Hantu move faster during hunts the colder it is, with temps under 0 degrees Celcius (32 Fahrenheit) granting the 2.7 meters per second cap.
- Hantu have twice the chance of turning off the power breaker than other ghosts and aren’t able to turn it on.
- Line of sight does not affect Hantu movement speed during hunts.
- Evidence: Freezing Temperatures, Spirit Box, Ghost Orbs
- Sanity Threshold: 60%, Any (if blowing out Firelights)
- Firelight and Lighter flames function like Crucifixes for Onryo, but it’ll hunt regardless of team sanity levels if it blows out three flames. It can do this multiple times in one investigation, and flames blown out during a hunt or to prevent one count toward this tally.
- Onyro increasingly blow out flames the more players are dead.
- Onryo can hunt at any sanity level if there are flames present in the investigation area for it them to blow out.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Ultraviolet, Ghost Orbs
- Obake have a guaranteed chance to change their model at least once during a hunt.
- Obake only grant a 75% chance to leave Ultraviolet evidence behind when interacting with doors and lights, rather than the normal 100%. They also have an ability to halve the timers on lingering Ultraviolet evidence.
- Obake have a small chance to leave a special handprint on doors they interact with, the print having six fingers instead of five.
- Evidence: Ghost Writing, DOTS Projector, Spirit Box
- Sanity Threshold: 40%
- Hunt Movement Speed: 0.4 meters per second, up to 3 meters per second
- Deogen can give a unique heavy breathing response on the Spirit Box.
- Deogen can see through walls, and as such, it can’t be hidden from. It will chase the nearest player, occasionally checking during a hunt to see who is closest and changing to target them.
- Deogen slow down the closer they get to a player.
- Evidence: DOTS Projector, Ultraviolet, Spirit Box
- Phantoms can roam to a player and trigger an EMF 2 reaction.
- Phantoms flicker in and out of visibility more slowly during hunts than other ghosts, making them harder to see and keep track of.
- Phantoms can’t be photographed. Taking a picture of a Phantom during a ghost event will cause it to disappear, though the event will continue.
- Phantoms will also disappear when you take a picture of their form in the DOTS Projector.
- Players within 10 meters and in line of sight during a ghost event will experience increased sanity drain.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Ultraviolet, Freezing Temperatures
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.5 meters per second, up to 2.5 meters per second
- Jinns can’t turn off the power breaker on their own, though it can still be overloaded by turning on too many lights.
- Jinns have the ability to drain the sanity of every player in the same room it’s in by a whopping 25%. The ability is only possible when the power breaker is on, and it gives an EMF 2 or EMF 5 reading at the power breaker.
- The 2.5 meter top speed is only met when a Jinn hunts with the power breaker on, has line of sight on a player, and if it’s a bit away from its target.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Ghost Writing, Freezing Temperatures
- Sanity Threshold: 35%
- Shades can’t manifest or hunt when in the same room as a player. They can move to another room and do either, though.
- Shades have a higher chance of interacting at lower sanity levels, with barely any chance at all at high ones.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Freezing Temperatures, DOTs Projector
- Hunt Movement Speed: 50%
- Oni are visible for longer between flashes during hunts.
- Oni are more active the more people there are around, and they are prone to manifesting fairly regularly regardless.
- Oni drain 20% of a player’s sanity when touching them during a ghost event. Normally this drains 10%.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Ultraviolet, DOTS Projector
- Goyro can’t change ghost rooms regardless of difficulty level.
- Goryo won’t show up on DOTS with a player in the room, and they have to be seen through a video camera.
- Evidence: EMF 5, Freezing Temperatures, Spirit Box
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.5 meters per second, up to 1.8 meters per second
- The Twins interact at the ghost room and at a ranged location elsewhere on the map.
- The Twins have a hunt movement speed of 1.8 meters per second when starting a hunt from the ghost room, and 1.5 meters per second when starting from the decoy.
- The decoy room can’t give Freezing Temps or EMF 5.
- The Twins interact with their environment one after the other, one at the actual ghost and the other at the decoy’s location.
- Evidence: Freezing Temperatures, Ultraviolet, Spirit Box (plus fake Ghost Orbs)
- Sanity Threshold: Varies
- Hunt Movement Speed: Varies
- Mimics always provide a fourth fake Ghost Orb evidence.
- Mimics will change the sort of ghost they’re imitating very often, but not during hunts.
- Mimics’ sanity thresholds, hunt movement speeds, and abilities will change based on the ghost they’re copying. They can even leave Obake-like handprints.
- Evidence: Ghost Writing, DOTS Projector, Ghost Orbs
- Sanity Threshold: 75%
- Hunt Movement Speed: 1.0 meters per second, up to 2.75 meters per second
- Thayes grow “older” as an investigation goes on and become less active and hunt more slowly as they age. They age up every minute or two, depending.
- Thayes do not speed up when they have line of sight on you during hunts.
That’s it for our complete Phasmophobia ghost cheat sheet . Hopefully, this helps you figure out the ghosts faster, it all takes practice and a lot of passive learning. Look for more Phasmophobia guides here on GameSkinny.
About the author
Ashley's been with GameSkinny since the start, and is a certified loot goblin. Has a crippling Darktide problem, 500 hours on only Ogryn (hidden level over 300). Currently playing Darktide, GTFO, Songs of Syx, RoRR, and others.
More Stories by Ashley Shankle
The latest gaming news, guides, reviews and features
- Call of Duty
- Apex Legends
- Dead By Daylight
- Guides Guides
- Reviews Reviews
- Field Upgrades
- Action and Adventure Games
- Battle Royale
- Gangs of Sherwood
- Indie Games
- Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
- Only Mobile Gaming
- Role Playing Games
- Shooter Games
- Sports Games
- Strategy and Simulation Games
- The Day Before
- survival &-horror-games
Phasmophobia: All Ghost Types And Evidence Explained
Got a fear of ghosts? You might want to be aware of these different ghost types then...
Phasmophobia is the newest hit game to come to steam. Its name literally means a fear of ghosts, and that's certainly what this game provokes in its players. The co-op horror game has been making waves due to its popularity on Twitch and YouTube, especially since up to four players can join in on the fun.
In this guide, we've explained each type of ghost and the evidence needed for each of them!
Table of Contents
Phasmophobia ghost types & evidence, poltergeist.
READ MORE: Phasmophobia: What to Do With Keys
There are 21 ghosts in total in the game, with each having its own weaknesses, strengths and evidence needed. If you and your team can find out what evidence this is, you can identify the ghost type and leave the haunted house, school, or prison for safety. You'll then be paid for the successfully completed contract and embark on more contracts with more equipment to aid you.
Here's a list of all ghost types, their behaviour, and what evidence is needed.
The Myling likes to make a lot of noise, so you can usually work out their presence using a Parabolic Microphone . However, they tend to go quiet during a hunt. So if you think you're facing a Myling and things become silent all of a sudden... hide.
- Ghost Writing
- EMF Level 5
The Banshee is of a more medium difficulty to tackle. They will become obsessed with one player and not leave that particular target alone, so it will likely be up to the rest of the team to find evidence. If you think you're facing a Banshee and need to protect yourself, note that the Crucifix is only effective for up to 5 meters against them.
- DOTS Projector
The Hantu has a unique ability, in which they can move faster as temperatures decrease. So, as soon as you encounter those freezing temperatures, it's probably best to try and be stealthy or move to a warmer area as you collect the rest of your evidence.
- Freezing Temperatures
The Yokai can be tricky to handle, especially since they can deplete your sanity and take you down almost instantly. Their aggression peaks when they can hear voices, so take caution and go steady with the Spirit Box if you suspect that you're facing a Yokai!
Due to Goryu not often appearing – they're camera-shy, you could say – it can be very hard to track them down, let alone take a photo of them.
They won't like to appear when you're around and never move far from the room they're based in, so your best bet for tracking down a Goryo is with the use of a Video Camera and your DOTS projector.
Spirits are the most common type of ghost. They usually appear due to an unexplained death and have no unique features to them besides the fact they can be halted temporarily using a Smudge Stick .
They can be calm or incredibly aggressive, and often quite hard to discern from other spirits.
Shades are known to be shy and look for players who are alone. Due to this, it's best to stay as a group during your hunt if you want to be safe but split up when you want to find evidence.
The Poltergeist can move objects about the room. Meaning this ghost can become dangerous if you're surrounded by a lot of objects. Although, they will be pretty much useless in an empty room.
The Jinn will attack when threatened. It can also move at high speed, but this can be prevented by turning off the location's power source, halting its ability.
Read More: Phasmophobia: What is Dirty Sink Water?
The Mare is strongest when in the dark. So, if you turn on all the lights it's less likely to attack but it tends to turn them off or trip the breaker box so that it can hunt you.
The Phantom is one of the slowest of the ghosts. It can impact players' sanity greatly while being viewed directly, so try your best to avoid looking at them! However, taking a picture of it will cause it to disappear briefly.
The Wraith can fly and is considered one of the most dangerous ghost types, especially considering it can move through walls.
Salt will prevent the Wraith from attacking, as the household ingredient is toxic to it.
Read More: Phasmophobia: Bone Evidence and How to Find It
The Revenant moves fastest while hunting, especially if there is a player in their line of sight. It will be slowed down if players are hiding from it and it is without a target.
Yurei drops the player's sanity faster than any other. However, using Smudge Sticks will reduce how often it wanders out of the room it is located in.
The Oni moves fastest when nearby players. This can make them really dangerous but can also make it easier when finding and identifying them.
The Demon is one of the worst ghost types in Phasmophobia. It's extremely violent and the Crucifix is recommended to be used when searching for it to help prevent it from initiating its hunts as frequently. The only positive of this ghost is that using the Ouija Board around it will not lower your sanity.
'The Wrathful spirit' was added into Phasmophobia as part of the Nightmare Update. It's primarily weak to fire, so candles will work here. Be cautious that extinguishing flames can cause him to attack, yet when flames are alight, they will be less likely to attack.
The Twins are an interesting type of ghost, moving as a pair and able to initiate hunts separately if needed. They interact with the environment as a pair, making them easy to identify compared to regular ghosts.
The Obake leans on shapeshifting to confuse players. It can take the form of a human, making it difficult to tell apart from your team. This can lead to some messy encounters, as they will rarely leave a trace when interacting with the environment, but may leave behind unique evidence through their shapeshifting.
Raiju is an electricity-sapping ghost that feeds off of high-power devices. It can interfere with electrical devices also, and increase its speed by doing so. These ghosts can be easier to track due to their interference with various household items.
- DOTS Protector
The Mimic was introduced as a part of the Cursed Possessions update. Known as the 'copycat ghost', they're incredibly illusive. They mirror the traits and behaviour of other ghost types, and it's not certain what they're capable of. They do, however, leave behind a trace of themselves on top of their evidence, and that's by leaving behind ghost orbs.
Now that you're aware of which ghosts display which evidence, you'll be able to hunt them down in no time and return to the safety of the paranormal investigator's lair with your pockets full of cash. However, you'll need to collect the evidence first! We have some useful guides on how to find fingerprints and Ghost Writing to aid you.
This article was updated by Kelsey Raynor on the 13th December 2021.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Phasmophobia and Guides page.
Phasmophobia: How To Guess The Ghost Type Using Behaviours
Too much trouble guessing the ghost hunting? Don't worry, these tips will give you a hand.
Whether you're a seasoned Phasmophobia veteran or a wide-eyed newbie, paranormal investigations are hard work. The task is straightforward on paper: going solo or as part of an online multiplayer team, you have to identify the ghost type, snap pictures to earn in-game cash, and avoid getting throttled by one of numerous vengeful, violent spirits in the process.
Phasmophobia: Guide To Consumables
Even with a formidable arsenal of tools at your disposal, it can be tough to narrow down the list of culprits. The Oni ghost type is not dissimilar to the loud and messy Poltergeist, for example, and who knows when a pesky Mimic will rear its head and throw you off mid-hunt? These and other sneaky tips in this guide will help you guess the ghost type more efficiently.
Updated October 1, 2023, by Sean Murray: If you're stuck wondering what ghost you're dealing with in Phasmophobia, we've got you covered. This ghost guide has been refreshed with improved formatting and more breakout tips to make identifying your ghost that much easier.
The Banshee targets a single member of your party and will gun for that person during a hunt, ignoring nearby teammates . It will hunt depending upon its target's individual sanity rather than the average. The Banshee tends to follow its target around the map , interacting with items as you pass them, even if you are far from the ghost room.
This ghost type is also more likely to perform the singing ghost event type than other ghosts. If you experience these more, and only one person seems to be the hunting target, it may be a Banshee.
Figure out who the target is, keep their sanity above 50 percent, and the Banshee effectively cannot hunt. However, if the target is left outside on van duty, the hunt will operate as normal, with the ghost chasing whoever it finds first .
Unlike most ghosts who may start hunting when you drop below 50 percent sanity, Demons can begin hunting at any time from 70 percent sanity or lower , starting the moment you enter the map. It also has a special ability to perform a hunt at any percent sanity. They have slightly shorter cooldowns for things like normal hunts, ghost activity, and smudge suppression.
If a hunt starts when average sanity is above 50 , you most likely have a Demon.
For further proof, Demons fear the crucifix . The presence of one within five meters of the ghost (as opposed to the usual effectivity radius of three meters ) will prevent it from hunting . While harder to test accurately, this can be used to confirm Demons.
This ghost's name translates from Dutch as The Eyes, so it only makes sense that Deogen can sense your presence no matter where you hide . If they always find you, no matter how well you hide, this might be a sign. Deogen also can't early hunt , usually only triggering one when the average sanity is below 40 percent .
The most noticeable behavior is that, rather than a word or statement, Deogen have a chance to respond to spirit box questions by breathing heavily and taking audible steps toward you . This is a hidden ability that is a surefire way to identify them.
The Goryo is a stationary ghost. Mechanically, they are unable to wander far from the ghost room . They also are unable to change ghost rooms on any difficulty setting. If the ghost seems very limited to one area, it might be a Goryo.
This is the only determinable behavior they display outside using your testing equipment.
Hantu prefer the cold. They move faster in cold places and will have a colder-than-average ghost room . They will never turn the fuse box on but are twice as likely to turn it off.
The most noticeable behavior is that the Hantu's own icy breath can be seen as they move around during a hunt .
If you have a ghost that frequently turns the power off and seems to move faster than normal, it may be a Hantu.
Jinn are power-centric ghosts that use electricity to quickly reduce the sanity of anyone nearby. If you suddenly experience a 25 percent drop in sanity for seemingly no reason, this may be why.
The Jinn will never turn the breaker box off since it needs electricity to use its special abilities. However, it might accidentally short-circuit the breaker by turning on too many lights at once. The breaker will also register on your EMF meter after the Jinn has used its ability , which it will do when you come within three meters of it.
Being more likely to attack in the dark, the Mare will never turn the breaker box or any lights on . It instead will turn off as many as it can and has a chance of using its unique ability to immediately turn off a light you have just switched on — no matter the distance from its room. It will also perform the light-shattering ghost event more frequently.
The hunting threshold for the Mare changes depending on whether the room they are in is illuminated . If the lights are on, it's only 40 percent, while in darkness, it's 60 percent. You can experiment with this to confirm if they're a mare.
Phasmophobia: Equipment Upgrade System, Explained
As the name implies, the Mimic will copy the behavior of other ghosts . They can change what behavior they copy, as well, and as often as every 30 seconds .
The easiest way to catch a Mimic is to discover four pieces of evidence rather than the usual three (or three rather than four if playing Nightmare). When the ghost's behavior changes dramatically from hunt to hunt , or if important pieces of evidence have vanished, and you have confirmed that the ghost's room has not changed, this is tell-tale Mimic behavior.
A Moroi's primary feature is their speed. The lower the average sanity of the party, the faster they are during a hunt .
Their main ability is to ' curse ' you through either the Spirit Box or the Parabolic Microphone. When cursed, your sanity drains twice as fast and will still drain when in a well-lit area . Taking pills will cure the curse. You can use this as a way to confirm the presence of a Moroi.
Light a smudge stick while they chase you to disorient them for a longer-than-average time.
Myling are ghosts that are very quiet. The intended game mechanic is that they will make more frequent ghost sounds through the parabolic microphone .
A more reliable test exists, though. The ranges that you can hear a Myling is very close to the same range that they start to affect electrical equipment like flashlights during a hunt. If you only hear footsteps and ghost noises around the same time a flashlight flickers , it's probably a Myling.
Described as shapeshifters, the Obake have a handful of unique mechanics that give it identifiable behavior. The most frequent one is that their ghost model has a chance to change . This can be hard to notice, though.
The more reliable but somewhat rare option is to check for extra fingers on the hand prints . This can be six-fingered hand prints, two on light switches instead of one, and so on. This is something unique to Obakes. Additionally, their fingerprints , normal or not, have a chance to disappear over time . Watch the fingerprints, and you should be able to identify an Obake.
Oni are harder to identify on behavior alone. The most noticeable difference is that during its hunting phase, the Oni will appear for longer when flickering. They also will use their full model instead of a shadow or spectral form.
They are generally more active than the average ghost and will drain sanity faster when coming into contact. But with both of these being hard-to-track metrics, they can't be relied on.
The Onryo is a fire-based ghost. A lit candle is to the Onryo what the crucifix is to a regular ghost. If an Onryo attempts a hunt near a flame, the hunt will fail, and the fire will be put out. When the flame is extinguished outside of that, the Onryo will try to hunt again.
If heavy candle placement is causing hunts to never happen, it's likely an Onryo.
This ghost plays on the idea of visibility. The Phantom's strength will vanish after its photo is taken . Check your journal to see if the image shows signs of glitching. If the ghost photo is clear and glitch-free, it is a Phantom. The ghost's form will never appear in the photo, however.
Phantoms also flicker less visibly, appearing less often when flickering . Seeing a phantom, however, will drain your sanity faster.
The well-known Poltergeist can throw multiple items in a room at a markedly faster speed than other types. It can throw these items simultaneously, especially when piled up on the floor.
Be careful: every time it throws an item, it docks your sanity by a percentage.
Raijius give themselves away due to their weakness in triggering electrical devices during a hunt , differing from the Jinn, which will conduct this behavior outside the hunting phase. The range to trigger electronics is about 50 percent further.
Their hunt threshold is also higher around technology , at 65 percent instead of the standard 50.
Phasmophobia: Experience And Money Changes, Explained
The Revenant is a fairly straightforward ghost but one of the most dangerous. It hunts slowly if it isn't giving chase ( listen for slower footsteps ), but it is impossible to outrun if it spots you. Its chasing speed is around twice as fast as your average ghost . Beyond that, it behaves as normal.
Shades are shy ghosts. They are less likely to create ghost evidence . When doing a ghost event, they are more likely to appear as mist. When forced to appear (like through a summoning circle), they will appear in shadow form instead of the full model.
They are also the least likely to start a hunt. They cannot hunt until the sanity threshold falls under 35 percent . And even then, they will never start a hunt if someone is in the same room as them.
If the game goes on for a long while , and you're getting little activity , they might be a shade.
Spirits are the most basic of ghost types. They only have one unique feature: Spirits are rendered totally inactive for 180 seconds after getting smudged — twice as long as all other types. You can try to use this method to identify one, but the traditional ways will be more reliable.
In a total reversal of the Shade, Thaye ghost types start off incredibly powerful and aggressive , interacting with or throwing multiple items and dashing around the map during their first hunt. However, they lose momentum gradually over time when someone is nearby , moving slower and becoming less active.
If you suspect a Thaye, you may have to trigger a hunt early on (they hunt between 50-75 percent average sanity) to ensure that you can collect evidence and complete all objectives before it essentially goes dormant .
The Twins are tricky, with one stationed in the ghost room to give key evidence and the other clattering about elsewhere to throw you off . They tend to perform back-to-back interactions from two different locations. They can also begin a hunt from either the ghost room or a nearby room.
Remember that the Twins are still only one ghost, not two. If you see events in multiple places that seem to conflict with their location, it may be the Twins.
The Wraith is a floating ghost. When a Wraith steps in salt piles, it will never provide footprints . This can be checked with a UV torch or by snapping a photograph. This is the easiest way to confirm a Wraith from behavior.
Unlike the Banshee, which follows its target on foot, the Wraith can teleport to you from anywhere on the map in an instant. This is a dead giveaway if you have confirmed the ghost room and yet experience interactions, events, or any other activity far from its spot .
The Yokai is very reactive to the sound of human voices , making it more likely to hunt from up to 80 percent sanity if you are too liberal with the push - to - talk button. Keep the group nattering to a minimum until you rule this one out.
Alternatively, use this as a method of instigating a hunt and confirming a Yokai.
The Yurei has a secret ability to slam many doors at once . Unlike regular door touches, snapping a picture of a slammed door shows that this ability does not count as an interaction and will not give photo evidence — but will drain your sanity by a steep 15 percent .
Intentionally opening all doors and waiting for this event can be a way to identify a Yurei.
Next: Phasmophobia: What Is Ultraviolet?
This page is part of IGN's Phasmophobia Wiki guide and details everything you need to know about the Starter Equipment piece, the Spirit Box . Throughout this page, we'll break down how to use the spirit box, how much it costs to purchase, as well as the ghosts best detected with the spirit box.
Looking for something particular? Click the links below to jump to...
Spirit Box Overview
Spirit box price.
- How to Use the Spirit Box
Types of Questions
Ghosts best detected with the spirit box.
The official description reads:
"This electronic voice phenomenon recorder or Spirit Box can capture paranormal radio frequencies that can allow communication with spirits."
How To Use the Spirit Box
The Spirit Box is a piece of Starter Equipment in Phasmophobia. While the Spirit Box is on, you'll most often hear white noise but when asked a question, a Ghost can respond to answer you through the Spirit Box. You'll need to be in the same room as the Ghost or be at least within 3 meters of to get a response. Additionally, the room's lights must be off.
Some Ghosts may respond with when more than one person is in the room or nearby whereas shy ghosts may only respond if you are alone.
You can either carry the Spirit Box with you as you explore the map and ask the Ghost questions or you can drop it on the floor or a surface in the suspected Ghost room.
Unlike other electronic devices, a Spirit Box won't malfunction during a Hunt but it will reveal your location to a Ghost. For this reason, it is recommended you turn off the Spirit Box during a hunt.
You can carry a maximum of 2 Spirit Boxes during each job.
There are 4 categories you can ask questions from: Difficulty, Location, Age and Personal.
- What do you want?
- What should we do?
- Why are you here?
- Do you want to hurt us?
- Do you want to hurt me?
- Do you want us to leave?
- Do you want us to stay?
- Are you angry?
- Are you friendly?
- Are you happy?
- Can we help?
- Do you want us to help?
- Where are you?
- What is your location?
- Are you here?
- Are you in this room?
- Are you close?
- Is there a spirit here?
- Is there a ghost here?
- Is there anyone here?
- Can you show yourself?
- Can you give us a sign?
- Can you speak to us?
- Can you let us know you're here?
- How old are you?
- How young are you?
- Are you old?
- Are you young?
- Are you a child?
- What is your age?
- When were you born?
- Who are you?
- Are you a boy?
- Are you a girl?
- Are you male?
- Are you female?
- What are you?
- What is your name?
Additionally, there are other general questions you can ask ghosts as you explore the map without the Spirit Box or by using discoverable items like the Ouija Board.
You can find a comprehensive list of every voice command and phrase you can ask Ghosts .
Up Next: Equipment and Tools
Top guide sections.
- Tips and Tricks
- Difficulty Differences
- Optional Objectives
- Every Voice Command and Question You Can Ask Ghosts
Was this guide helpful?
In this guide.
Originally posted by neaituppi : Yeah, any time they appear, in full body form, shadow form, they will make that sound. And sometimes just before a hunt, because they appeared.
Originally posted by Hawkeye685 : Originally posted by neaituppi : Yeah, any time they appear, in full body form, shadow form, they will make that sound. And sometimes just before a hunt, because they appeared.
Report this post
Paranormal Zone,The Haunting Dimensions- PZHD
Investigation of paranormal activities/ parapsychology and haunting – Cleansing using wide range of methods since 1986. Now serving in Alberta.
Ghostly breathing sounds beside your ears or close to you
The eye witness wrote .
I wonder how the account of what I have experienced will compare to the other stories on this site. In comparison, it probably lacks both novelty and an element of drama. But I would still love to get some ideas from you, the readers. There seems to be few other opportunities around for presenting your experiences to such a wide audience and getting feedback on them.
The last time these breathing sounds occurred was five years ago when I lived in Ireland, just outside Dublin. I was renting a nice little flat – small, but with a closed-off kitchen, closed-off bedroom, not one of the bedsits. The house cannot have been older than 30 years, although I am guessing. It was evidently laid out for multiple parties, but was actually much smaller than the image conjured up by a block of flats.
One night, I awoke at around 4 am. I could see the time on my clock next to my bed because the moonlight was coming in through the window. It was winter, no early dawns to wake you, so I often didn’t close the drapes. The window looked out onto open fields and nobody was likely to see me, so why bother? I had woken up very suddenly, which surprised me but clearly didn’t provide cause for alarm. So I lay in bed, relaxing and thinking about what I would do that day.
I don’t recall precisely when, but after a while – maybe a minute, maybe bit longer – I started to hear a strange sound. I didn’t give it much thought at first. But then it must have grown louder or more pronounced because after a short while – and quite suddenly at that – it became unsettling and I had to find out where it came from. As I had a slight cold at the time, the first thing I did was to hold my breath to find out whether I was spooking myself.
From the fact that I am posting this publicly, you can probably guess that that didn’t stop the breathing sounds I was hearing. Quite on the contrary: in the absence of my own breathing and the quiet of the night, the strange sounds became very clear, almost heavy, and clearly identifiable as breathing and, notably, easy to place in the room. They were coming from the opposite corner of the room, near the door and, unfortunately for me, near the light switch, several feet off the ground.
I stayed in bed for a while longer, thinking about my options. But now that I was aware of the breathing and knew where it was coming from, it became or seemed to become louder and, although this sounds stupid, seemed to “seek” my attention. It didn’t move around though and stayed where it was. I was scared to get up and go for the light switch and thereby moving directly towards this sound and whatever was causing it, but the thought of how much longer I would have to endure the situation if I didn’t make me gather my courage. I got up quickly and resolutely, moved towards the other end of the room as if I was ready to physically attack someone if necessary and actually found the light switch without fumbling or obvious signs of nervousness. The split-second before I turned on the lights, I heard that I was very very close to the source of the noise and that it definitely seemed to come from inside the bedroom. But it never moved. The moment the lights came on, it was gone. I held my breath, I listened… Nothing.
I spent the last few hours before the day really started in the living room. Nothing ever happened again in that flat.
I had heard similar breathing sounds before on several occasions, at different times of day and night, and on three different continents. Sometimes they were frightening, sometimes they were not. Sometimes they felt so benevolent that I was able to ignore them completely, sometimes they even made me feel less lonely when I wasn’t well.
The character changed from place to place and time to time. Sometimes I didn’t hear anything for years… I now haven’t heard anything in five years, which is the longest time ever. Sometimes I wonder why, but generally I am relieved.
If anyone would like to offer any thoughts on this phenomenon, they are very welcome to do so.
Comments about this paranormal experience
The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by our blog.
I believe I was around 14 years old at the time and I was just starting high school… I wasn’t feeling the greatest so I decided to stay home sick from school. I had a nap and woke up to no one in the house. And me, as a bored teen age girl decided to dish out my clothes from my dresser and try on various outfits for school when I got back. My room led just to the end of my hallway where there is a large glass structure covering the end of the hallway wall. Since I was home alone I decided to use that mirror to try on these outfits and I was changing shirts infront of it. I remember — as I was somewhat scantily clad, all of a sudden I could hear this loud, heavy breathing noise. It was slow, deep and sounded like it was coming from a older male. It’s hard to explain as it did sound human- but there was no distinct direction it was coming from, however it was from the general direction behind me in the air. I just ended up freezing and staring at my self in the mirror, I saw nothing at all, and my dog in the lvingroom didn’t seem to notice anything, and about half a minute later it disappeared. I know that I was alone because the doors were all locked and my parents came home shortly after so it wasn’t them. This has never happened again and my house certainly doesn’t have a “paranormal feel” anymore. At nighttime, when my parents weren’t home once (I would say about 1am), I heard someone sit down, and then get up off of their loud squeaky mattress in the middle of the night. This only happened about a handful of times. Whatever used to be here is gone now, but it certainly was spooky at the time; and being a young age no one would believe me either.
Ok I was just at my house, my dad just left to get a haircut, so I stood here. Once he left. Like 10 minutes go by and I hear my back door squeak shut, almost like someone was sneaking through my back door, but stupidly I didn’t think anything of it, I had some Windows open so I thought maybe I caught some kind of other Noise. So I ignore it. Than I go to play with my little dog, I start tugging her toy from her, just playing with my dog, than all a sudden I begin to hear this breathing noise, I think maybe its me, or my dog. But than the breathing gets louder, like it sounds like a very Clear like its another human, like someone came back from running a marathon, I put my hear up to my dog, and its not breathing hard like this. SO I get very startled. I start to think SOMEONE broke in my house! Cause this sound like someone is breathing hard in a closet. I can hear them. I go into my kitchen and get a Knife. I go and check, than I begin to think well damn maybe that noise I heard earlier, with the door squeaking shut. Was someone breaking in. So I’m with a knife checking Every Room and my heart is beating fast I’m checking every closet, every corner to every room, and I find NOTHING. I’m than am Puzzled. This was Loud, like no way I’m imagining this. This where it gets creepy, as if it couldn’t get any worse. I begin to think, I heard someone, I know for sure it was something. Now Listen I NEVER believed in Ghosts. But I called this thing out, telling it to breathe hard. Like third time I ask it to breath heavy. I hear this LOUD hard breathing coming from the other room, I just sit there and listen at this for about 2 minutes straight. Creepiest thing I’ve Ever heard, And I never Believed in ghost before this
Since the past two years it has been so ever since I moved out of my parents house and rented an apt… I was welcomed by the most scary of the entire experience so far… It seemed as if I was deep into my sleep and dreaming where I saw myself in the same position sleeping with the consciousness of myself knowing that I was dreaming I felt some one just trying to strangulate me to my ceiling fan right above me… Now consider this if I am aware of my condition to be dreaming this I could obviously break free of the same, as we usually do but for some strange reason I’m unable to do so and actually going breathless after a hard struggle I mange to sit up on my bed and drenched in sweat when my air conditioner is showing 20 degrees (cold enough for Bombay) as the temperature set. I could still not get weather it was dream or what? I was completely struck but was sure it was more than just a dream. I called my girl spoke to her, even decided to get out at that 4 am time but than some how I hung back with a feeling in my mind to see it further and decided to sleep on the same bed… After a few days my girl shifted in with me… Now this was where I started to get this breathing sound too often in the night… I would try to concentrate to understanding weather it was the breathing sound of my girl sleeping next to me or some thing else but I could clearly differentiate the two… Its been six months now that I shifted out of that house and am staying in a new city in a newly constructed apartment… Even thought hear inn I haven’t had a terrific welcome like the previous apartment but not only me but my room mate who stays with me as well has experienced these breathing sound the irony goes it stays for a very short time around 5 sec but its super strong to make out… I feel these vibes but some how want to continue the mindset that nothing’s happening until I see some thing more concrete… There have been time where on the sounds arrival I often speak in my head to this sound saying ” stop disturbing not today… In case you want to chill welcome just dun bother me I’ve had a hard day at work ” and like a normal routine go to bed! I wonder if it does have any connection with leaving my parents house because before moving out I haven’t really gone through any of this but ever since… I try to feel its over it bounces back to prove me wrong… I’m still seeking some reasonable answer to what could possibly be the source to this?
Jimmy123 (4 posts)
By Dr.Steve Ramsey,PhD
Greeting from Calgary, Alberta - Canada. My name is Saad Al-Hashimi. Known as Steve Ramsey PhD, I am the founder and the director of the Paranormal zone- Haunting Dimensions. That deals with an investigation, debunking, and healing/cleansing since 1986. Having had many unexplainable experiences from a young age at a possible "haunted" house where plenty of things seemed to happen that I couldn’t explain, since that time and I am looking and searching for an answer. After continuing to have many experiences that I just cannot explain, I have since become a firm believer that GHOSTS do exist. I continued for a short while as a member of a few other paranormal groups until I was very fortunate to become involved with a local fast growing organization where I felt very comfortable to start my own paranormal investigation. My best experience has been Indio California, Okotoks Alberta, Baghdad city , and many other places in Greece and North Canada. (yes I do believe spirits can hurt you so you have to be careful not to provoke or challenge a spirit ). I won’t tell you the whole story now but you are more than welcome to ask me on a ghost hunt. I am now looking forward to meeting many more people, all looking for that ‘experience’ that could possibly convince them that there is something more to life than we first thought. So please feel free to email me [email protected] I have been involved in several paranormal groups over the years. Paranormal Adventures is different and exciting in ways I couldn’t possibly get before. When people ask if I believe in ghosts, I say I am a skeptical believer. I have had many encounters with spirit forms and believe what I have seen to be real and unexplainable. I always look for a normal mundane reason why at the same time. My area of expertise in the field of science. I have Ph.D. in Public Health from the USA, Master degree in Medical Ultrasound and BSc Degree in Diagnostic Imaging from Charles Sturt University Australia, BSc in Physics, and Radiology diploma from Iraq, Pharmacy diploma. Radiography diploma from London Ontario, Diploma in Natural Health from Quebec, Canada. Radiation physics from Australia, I studied the infra and ultrasound in the animal kingdom.P resented more than 20 lectures in Iraq, Greece, Germany, South Korea, Japan, Canada and I am the peer reviewer for the radiographer journal in UK, Netherlands, and South Africa. Earned the 3rd award for excellence in ultrasound - Canada 2005. I am also armature archaeologist, painter, calligrapher, and used to run acting theater play in Iraq- Baghdad, wrote, directed and acted in more than 27 plays. So debunking come naturally in my science and technology back round, and not like other debunking people around you who use Google for their search and call them self-debunkers, It doesn't work that way. In the near future, I will run live internet ghost hunts with night vision cameras giving users at home the chance to watch the spooky footage on, in my nights out. I look forward to seeing you all soon on one of our many events! I loved reading ghost stories and sitting on my own in the dark watching horror films. However. I Can decode dreams, and I see spirits in my dreams. I like to look at things from a scientific point of view and try to rule out all rational possibilities before concluding that events are paranormal. However, I do try to keep an open mind on all investigations. I started taking part in investigations since 1986; my first investigation usually any house, apartment that I move in or my friend's places. For many of my true paranormal stories you can read them at www.linkedin.com I will try to copy and move all my articles here in this site in near future. Thank you for reading and God Bless you all. Steve Ramsey PhD. Alberta
- View history
A ghost event is a manifestation of the ghost in the mortal world other than a hunt and which does not directly interact with the environment (unlike an interaction ). Ghost events vary from full on physical apparitions to mere balls of smoke and usually produce sound (hissing, moaning, chanting etc.) percievable without the use specialized equipment .
- 1.1 Triggering ghost events
- 1.2 Blacklisted rooms
- 1.3.1 Manifestation
- 1.3.2 Airball
- 1.3.3 Summoning
- 1.3.4 Music box
- 1.4 Sanity drain
- 1.5 Ghost event rates and preferences
- 1.6 Non-ghost events
- 3 Related difficulty settings
- 4 Objectives
- 7 References
Mechanics [ ]
Triggering ghost events [ ].
When the ghost attempts to perform a ghost event, it will check for players in the investigation area within a certain range (around 10 metres). If successful, one player within the range will be randomly chosen as the ghost event's target each time. If the ghost chooses to manifest, it will be teleported to near the player first. Ghosts do not teleport for airball events. An EMF 4 reading will be generated at the point where the ghost is at the start of the event.
Players can trigger ghost events by drawing The Devil card from a deck of Tarot Cards . Some other cursed possessions can trigger specialised ghost events. Otherwise, ghost events are random, and a lower average sanity increases the chance of them occurring. Neither smudging nor verbally provoking the ghost will increase the chance of a ghost event. 
Blacklisted rooms [ ]
Ghosts cannot perform ghost events towards a player if they are standing in the following rooms:
- Basement west corridor
- Restricted area (the corridor, not the individual rooms)
- Courtyard corridor
- Female wing (the corridor, not the individual rooms)
- Male wing (the corridor, not the individual rooms)
Ghosts and ghost airballs can still follow a player into these rooms from an adjacent room.
Types of events [ ]
The event is a true singing event only when Ring around the Rosie or another male singing audio is used.
Manifestation [ ]
When the ghost chooses to manifest, there are several subtypes which it may perform:
- The ghost stands in one spot and sings; this is usually known as a singing event. Male ghosts will hum an unknown, low-tone tune, while female ghosts will sing Ring Around the Rosie .
- No additional features other than the lights in the room turning off.
- All lights in the room will turn on, glowing red for the duration of the event.
- All lights in the room will flicker (if turned on), then shatter at the end of the event.
- The ghost chases and walks towards the player who triggered the event. If it goes near enough to the player, it will disappear and hiss sharply. Otherwise, it will disappear without any sound if enough time has elapsed. The ghost will walk at the standard ghost speed of 1.7 m/s, regardless of the ghost type.
In all subtypes except for the singing event, the ghost will select a random hunt vocalisation.
The ghost can manifest in its full form, a shadow which is only visible only under light, or a jelly-like, almost see-through form. At the start of the event, the ghost may close doors (including exit doors, but without locking them) or turn off lights in the room. During the event, nearby electronics will malfunction and lights will flicker, giving the impression of an ongoing hunt. During ghost events, ghosts do not leave fingerprints when interacting with doors or causing light switches to turn off. Light switches cannot be toggled in the room where the ghost event occured if it is a non-singing stationary event.
The ghost event will end prematurely if the ghost goes near enough to the target player, making it disappear.
Airball [ ]
The ghost will create a airball in the room of the player the event is targeted at, which will begin traveling towards them. If that player collides with the ball, it will disappear and cause a sharp hissing sound, in which the pitch and duration is always the same. Any lights currently turned on in the player's current room will be turned off.
This event goes by multiple names, such as "smoke ball", "ghost ball", "ghost mist", or simply "mist".
Note that there are other "mist"-like things or graphics effects that can all be confused with each other, such as freezing breath, smudge stick smoke, or lighting bloom.
Summoning [ ]
This event can be triggered by using a Summoning Circle or a Monkey Paw . When used, the ghost will be teleported to the circle (or in its current location instead when using the Monkey Paw), become visible and remain trapped there for 5 seconds with a summoning animation. Afterwards, it will begin a cursed hunt on the spot.
Music box [ ]
This event can only be triggered by using a Music Box . If the ghost is within 5 metres of an actively playing music box, it will become visible and begin walking towards the box. If it walks for 5 seconds, touches a player holding the music box, or the music box is dropped, it will begin a cursed hunt.
Sanity drain [ ]
If the ghost event target collides with the ghost or the airball, causing it to disappear, 10% of their sanity will be deducted. For light-shattering events, the player has to be near the ghost when the event ends. Some ghosts have differing rates of sanity drain:
- The ghost event is of the singing type, and
- The ghost event target is also the hunt target.
- Oni : 20% sanity instead of 10% for all types of events.
- Phantom : Additional 0.5%/s sanity drain if the player is within 10 metres of the ghost while in line-of-sight.
Ghost event rates and preferences [ ]
Some ghosts have a preference for certain types of ghost events, or have modified rates of ghost events:
- Banshee : Higher chance of singing ghost events.
- Mare : Higher chance of light-shattering ghost events.
- Oni : Will never perform the airball ghost event, and is more likely to appear in its full form when manifesting.
- Also has a chance of showing up as a shadow model when summoned via the summoning circle, the music box, or the monkey paw, for the duration of the ghost event.
- Thaye : Initially 100% more likely to perform ghost events. Every time it ages, the likelihood decreases by 15% in absolute terms, decreasing to 50% once it has aged completely.
Non-ghost events [ ]
The following are not considered ghost events:
- Any ghost activity occurring during a hunt.
- Room lighting fading or dimming for 1-2 seconds.
- Candles burning out by themselves.
- Any interaction .
- The Yurei 's ability to shut a door and deduct nearby players' sanity.
- On some maps, a larger puff of smoke (compared to the airball) may rapidly fly across the investigation area in a straight line and through walls. This occurs at random and does not count as a ghost event.
- Although smudging is not known to increase the chance of a ghost event, doing so when sanity is very low will allow for a short period of time to allow the ghost to perform a ghost event instead of hunting.
Related difficulty settings [ ]
- Event frequency: The chance for the ghost to trigger an event
Objectives [ ]
- Ghost events where the ghost manifests sometimes produce a photographable interaction at the position where the ghost appeared. This can be demonstrated most easily when summoning the ghost using a Summoning Circle , by taking a photo twice.
See also [ ]
- Photo Camera
- Photo Rewards
References [ ]
- ↑ Cjdxn on ghost event randomness
- 1 Monkey Paw
- 3 Tarot Cards